1 onion, thinly sliced
- In a large pot, heat ghee or olive oil over medium heat. Add cumin seeds, coriander seeds, mustard seeds and turmeric, stir, and heat until seeds start to pop.
- Add sliced onion, and stir to coat, adding more oil/ghee if necessary. Turn heat down to low, cover, and let onions sweat for 5-10 minutes, stirring every few minutes, until they are transparent and caramelized.
- Add chopped beets and stir to mix. Cover and cook for a few minutes.
- Add water and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cover and let cook until beets are tender.
- Stir in cooked beans, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender or regular blender/food processor, puree soup until smooth.
- Return to heat, and season with tamari and freshly minced parsely. Let cook for an additional 5 minutes, allowing for flavors to meld.
- Enjoy! If desired, garnish with additional fresh parsley.