Garlic-Chive Parsnip Mash
2 large parsnips
Scrub and peel parsnips. If they are very large, slice in quarters lengthwise and remove woody core. Then slice into 1/4 inch slices.Steam parsnips for 10-15 minutes, or until totally soft. While parsnips steam, mince chives.
Adjust seasonings to taste, and serve immediately. Or, follow one of my lovely suggestions below this photo for some inspiration on other ways to use this...
- Serve over a bed of raw arugula or spinach, or on warm sauteed greens.
- Use as a topping for shepherd's pie
- Stuff zucchini or portobello mushrooms with it
- Serve as a side dish instead of mashed potatoes
- If you're a dairy eater, mix in a bit of crème fraîche, sour cream, or yogurt
- Mix leftovers with any other leftover roasted or sauteed vegetables, beans and/or leftover cooked meat, and your favorite broth for a quick soup
- Puree with white beans for a delicious vegetable dip or sandwich spread
- If you can eat gluten, try using it as a stuffing for making your own ravioli - I've heard wonton wrappers work great.
- Eat plain, right out of the bowl, because it is just that good : )
- Mix with other seasonings - Add a big spoonfull of your favorite pesto. Try using rosemary instead of chives, or fresh parsley. Dill would be lovely as well. Or perhaps some chopped up marinated sun-dried tomatoes? Get creative.